Applications for this vacancy have now closed
Here at Dorothy House we provide compassionate care and support for people in our community with a life-limiting illness. Our focus is on quality of life, helping patients to live well and die well.
We are here for anyone in our community who is facing a life-limiting illness. Using our full breadth of service, we create individual care journeys, which start at diagnosis and continue with bereavement support for family, carers and children.
HOUSEKEEPER / CLEANER | Band 2 - £11.45 per Hour
We are looking for someone to join our friendly housekeeping team! The successful applicant for this role will help to clean and maintain high standards of cleanliness in the clinical and office areas of Dorothy House Hospice in conjunction with other members of the Housekeeping Team. Some of the key responsibilities will include:
- To work as a member of the Housekeeping Team, reporting the Housekeeping Supervisor operating a service that is 7 days a week.
- In our clinical / non clinical areas the scheduled duties will include the following emptying bins, vacuuming, mopping floors, and high / low level dusting. Cleaning toilets and patients rooms, and all other areas within Dorothy House Hospice. Replenishing stock and using mechanical cleaning machines.
- To liaise each morning with the housekeeping supervisor and IPU lead nurse as to the priorities for that morning and to receive a brief report on the patient situation, expected admissions, additional cleaning needs and routine matters.
- To ensure patient rooms, therapies areas, and all other clinical areas are cleaned to a very high standard.
- Keep up to date on statutory and regulatory requirements in health, safety and hygiene.
- Adhere to uniform requirements and relevant health and safety requirements.
- Proactively interact with and support patients and their family members in the course of delivering housekeeping services daily.
See our full detailed Job Description on our website for more information.
HOURS OF WORK
We have multiple positions available: 6 Hours over Saturday and Sunday, 15 Hours over 5 Days with one working weekend in every four.
Please state in your application which position you would like to apply for.
We have no requirement for you to have done any kind of housekeeping work before. You will be fully supported with on the job training and mentoring from our fantastic housekeeping team!
- Ability to work as part of a Team
- Energetic and motivated individual who can manage and prioritise their own workload
- To be able to demonstrate good communication skills in a team role
- Able to work across flexible hours and be adaptable to changing needs
- Domestic/cleaning experience
- Domestic/cleaning experience in a health care setting
ABOUT THE BENEFITS
Dorothy House is an incredible place to work, these are just a few of our benefits that we offer to our staff:
- Generous holiday allowance for all roles, increasing with length of service
- Fantastic refer a friend scheme
- Excellent industry leading training and development programmes with many career development opportunities
- Pension with Life Assurance
- Travel and parking - We offer 45p per mile for work travel. There is unlimited free parking in Winsley.
- Cycle to work scheme
- Employee Counselling and Mindful Employer Charter - providing our staff with information, advice and support for those experiencing stress, anxiety, depression or any other mental health conditions.
- Simply Health - Providing insurance against certain everyday healthcare costs such as dental and optical treatments.
Please note that our vacancies can close at any time once sufficient applications have been received. We therefore encourage early submission of your application
Interviews will be conducted in December.
Required skills for this position
At Dorothy House, the principles of equality, diversity and inclusivity are central to our work as an outstanding care provider and employer. They are inherent in our values where we care, we connect and we create. We recognise the diversity of the people who deliver our services and the people who receive them. We believe that by building a diverse workforce, underpinned by a culture of respect, we will create an environment where everyone will have access to receive outstanding care and support from Dorothy House, regardless of characteristic.
Our 2021 Services Review identified how we need to work differently to achieve our strategic mission to ensure that “everyone has access to outstanding palliative and end of life care” and has presented us with an opportunity to improve on the “community development” work of the past and engage differently with our communities for the benefit of our patients, carers and families. Put another way, this is our moment ‘to do things differently’ and we are embracing this through Asset Based Community Development. We expect all staff to embrace this strategy and we will provide training accordingly.
What happens next
Your application will be processed. One of the team from Dorothy House may contact you to discuss your application further
If selected, you will be invited to attend an interview
We will keep you informed of the progress of your application throughout the selection process
Every day is different and challenging, and I feel privileged to be let into the lives and homes of our patients
Elaine Kynaston, Dorothy House carer
Dorothy House is at the end of a phone whenever you need advice or reassurance. There’s just something about all the staff – they’re so approachable.
Angela Selman, DH patient, 2022
I was a Hospice at Home carer for thirty years. I think we all feel privileged to do it. It’s an honour to be with people at the very end of life.
Maggie Matthews, Dorothy House carer
I cannot put into words what a difference your carers made at such a dark time, and I will always be truly grateful.
Family of a patient, 2021
Anyone who works for Dorothy House is passionate about what we do. We’re like a family –we agree on our values and our mission and that comes through more than anything
Sue Spanswick, Dorothy House carer
It sounds a cliché, but every day really is totally different and I get to work with some amazing people
Debbie Russell, Mobile Deputy Shop Manager
I really wanted to work for Dorothy house after seeing first-hand the quality of care they provided. I applied for hospice at home carer role, and was thrilled to be offered a position.
Julia Harper, Dorothy House carer
My role at Dorothy House feels more meaningful than any of my previous corporate experience. Things here really matter, and it is so rewarding playing my part in helping us be there for patients and families
Rhiannon Eveleigh, Corporate Communications, 2022